Wednesday, June 18, 2008

6 Weeks, 1 Day ?

According to our calculations, we just started the 6h week. However, the doctor thinks we may be a bit behind our own calculations. On Monday, we had our first ultrasound. Thanks to an alarming nurse on Friday afternoon, calling with my 'not quite doubling' 4th beta result, our apt was moved up 2 days to first thing Monday. So, needless to say, I was a nervous wreck the whole weekend...spending Friday worrying...Saturday writing a paper to keep my mind off the worry...and Sunday, trying to think positively. So Monday morning came and I didn't even want to chit chat. I just wanted to get to the office and get it over with. Determine if the not-quite-doubling betas was a bad thing or a non-thing.

Dr. Mayer came in and welcomed us warmly. He told us that he wanted to see a circle and really not much else. Sure enough, he found that circle, which would be the placenta, a yolk sac, and a small dot he said was the embryo...complete with fetal pole. I was so relieved! When he turned the screen over to Scott and I, pointing out the pregnancy, I was in shock. I didn't do anything except study the picture he was pointing to and take it in. The pregnancy was there. It was going good. The nurse 'thought' she saw a flutter (or heartbeat), but Dr. Mayer said no heartbeat until week 6 and he felt we were maybe in the early stages of week 5. So, back next week for a heartbeat. Once that is seen, I will officially be excited and less worried.

In the meantime, the nausea seems to be creeping in slowly. It's more noticeable then a week ago, and seems more recurrent (am & pm). I find it's most bothersome on an empty stomach and once I eat, the feeling disappears immediately. The heartburn is the most annoying. Milk helps and is comforting. But that too is all hours...after eating mostly. Finally, the exhaustion is getting annoying. It's harder to bare when I wake early or go to sleep later. OR, when I'm bored at work. If I'm busy or relaxed at home, the tiredness seems minimal.

Scott told his father and grandfather this past Sunday, Father's Day. They were excited...granddad more so. I think Scott has been waiting for that day for a long time. I'm happy it could be on Father's Day.
As for Scott, he has been tremendous. Aside from the enthusiasm for this baby, he has been so patient and helping and positive. The weekend from hell was easier thanks to his reassurance. He came to work to pick me up after the nurse's phone call and then laid with me as I cried and worried. I am seeing a new side of him, which I love to grow with.

No comments: